Monday, February 7, 2011

Bruising blunders

As I walked into the YMCA today for my daily work-out, I felt I was under observation. And, as I glanced over my shoulder, I discovered that my hunches were right: I was being watched! What was so different about me today?

Well, in the days following my sledding adventures and injuries, I became accustomed to my battle wounds and the grapefruit-sized welts and bruises on my legs. However, what I had not realized was the irony of the shirt I was wearing: stop domestic violence.

Blushing, I looked up and realized the purpose of their stares: they thought I was an abuse victim! Though, I often wear the shirt to advocate for the cause, I had not intended to actually BE the cause. When our gazes caught, the mother whispered to me, "we appreciate your determination." I said my proper thanks and then, hurried with my head down to create some more bruises on the Elliptical machine. What would she have thought if she knew the extent of my sledding wounds?!




In other news, I have been searching for the right words to help me heal from yesterday's events. And, today, I found them:

  • Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.~Jonathan Kozol  (I need not worry about the past, but only learn from it; I cannot change it.  Instead, I need to forgive it.)
  • A tough lesson in life that one has to learn is that not everybody wishes you well.~Dan Rather (as I learned yesterday...you cannot trust everyone and you cannot change people. Only God can.)
  • The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.~Eleanor Roosevelt (I must focus on the positive and keep striding forward.)
  • Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It's not about money. It's about the people you have, how you're led, and how much you get it.~Steve Jobs (I have really been thinking about starting my own business recently and I am nervous that I don't have the right money or qualifications, but this speaks to me!)
 Until the next time~Christy
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home